Friday, September 19, 2008

The story of Marcello

Here is the story of Marcello. I know some of you do not know the whole story of what happened, so I will post what I can remember.

Ralph came home from deployment Mon March 5th. And on March 6th I went to the ER because I was not feeling well and had a fever. I have been sick almost the entire pregnancy. And the doctors didn't seem too concerned. After 24 hours at the Sigonella Hospital, they told me they were sending me to the Catania birthing Center. They did not know what was causing my fever and it was making me go into labor. I was also told I had high liver enzymes and it was failing. I was only 35 weeks, almost 36. Sigonella doesn't have proper equipment for preemies, so they had to send me out into town.

The Italians tried to control my fever and stop the contractions, but I have allergies to some medications and they didn't know what they could give me. They couldn't keep my fever down, so at midnight they woke me to tell me they were taking the baby. It was a very tragic event, they do everything different than in the states. I was so scared, we didn't know what would happen and if the baby was OK. I will not go into details on how the Italians do things, but I will say it was very traumatic. I remember closing my eyes and praying to God that he would be OK. I also told God that I refuse to take another breath until I know my son takes his first.

So at 1:30 am on March 8th I had Marcello by C- section. I have attached the video from the Italian Dr that delivered my son. He took the photos and made the video and gave it to us on a CD. Our son was almost 6 pounds and was healthy, didn't need extra care. But he was born with a fever. He was breathing on his own, and was only under the heat lamp for a few hours. We were able to bring him home Sat when I was released. I am sooooooooo grateful my husband was there with me through it all. It was very stressful, but we made it through it. Ralph was wonderful helping me with everything and is such a proud father. I don't know how I would have done it without him.
THANK YOU BABE.

Here is the video that was given to us when I was released.





Dear Marcello,

You are a gift from God, a true angel. Each and every day you bring us more and more joy with your smile, and wonderful giggle. You are such a loving child, and you are one of the main reasons I was able to make it though Ralph's second deployment on this island. Each time I was sad, your giggle brought me hope. You kept both Sebastian's and my spirts up during the difficult times. We all love you so very much, even your big brother Sebastian. We have enjoyed watching you grow into your own little man. Each day an new adventure. And soon you will become a big brother.

We all love you,

Mom, Dad, & Sebastian.

No comments: