Sunday, September 28, 2008

Marcello and Potty training.......

Yes, it's true we decided to start potty training Marcello. It all started right before Ralph went to Germany. We both talked about getting a potty and introducing it to him. We didn't want to rush into it, but at least take baby step to showing him. I didn't start the introduction to Seb until he was around 2. But while Ralph was gone, Marcello started to show a few signs he might be ready. Whenever he was wet he would try and take off his diaper. We also would ask him if he needed a new diaper, and he would go upstairs to the changing table. The main sign we saw that pushed us to start now was when he started to pull his diaper down in the front and pee on the tile. He did this a few times, that's when I thought maybe we should buy one now and start.

When Ralph got home, we went to the store and got him a potty. We do not have a selection like you guys have back home. And we didn't want to wait on one in the mail. We brought it home and Marcello was excited. We first started out just having him sit on it with his clothes on. Wanted to see if he would, and you don't want to push your child. He loved it, so each time one of us went to the potty Marcello would follow and we would ask him it sit on his. And he did, we also would sing a song. Yeah I know you are laughing, but I'm sure you did it too.

Marcello has shown great interest in the potty and would sit on it, so we decided to go to the next step. I started to buy pull ups and having him sit on the potty naked. Of course what little boy doesn't like to be naked. I was surprised that he looked like he knew what to do. So now when I went to the potty I would get Marcello undressed and have him sit on his. Of course nothing happened, but at least I have him sitting on it. That's the first step, and sometimes the hardest to get a child comfortable enough to sit. Now each time he goes into the bathroom, he sits on his potty. I now keep supplies near his potty so I change him in there.

Last week, Marcello has gotten to where he wants to move his potty in front of the TV and sit. At first I wouldn't let him, because we have a rug and I didn't want him peeing on it. So I would just let him sit it on the tile and watch TV. Hey whatever might work right. Well, on Sept 25th, he surprised both of us. I undressed him after running errons all day and sat him on his potty in front of the TV. When he got up I was surprised to see he peed in the potty. I wasn't prepared, and didn't know how to praise him. I was so excited he did it. And I am not sure he realized he did it either, lol.

Of course he hasn't done it since. But at least I feel we are on the right track. Soon after I get better organized, I will set a timer and have him sit on the potty every 15 Min's. He still is young for starting, so I'm not in a big rush. I am just proud he has taken interest and we are on the right track.

No comments: