Monday, September 1, 2008

Girlfriends....

Well, as some of you know, I have hit some rough spots living over here. So what do I do, I call my girlfriend back In San Diego. You know you have a great friend when you tell her all that is going on and how sick you are feeling and your Husband is gone again. And she packs a bag and buys a plane ticket to fly out to see you. It's great knowing I do have a true friend out there I can count on. She has been here once before while both our husbands were deployed, right after Marcello was born.

Last time she was here I did my first real driving here in Italy, it helps to have a friend to go places with to help get familiarized with your surroundings. And I just bought a GPS. On her first visit we decided to go to the mainland. We took the ferry to Naples and then drove to Rome, Pompeii, and some of the Amalfi Coast. I will not do that again. Next time I will drive straight there and do the ferry from Messinia. And we learned the hard way It was the worst time of the year to do traveling, but we survived. We had fun getting lost together, laughing, and trying to find parking. I remember it being soo HOT and we walked everywhere dragging poor Sebastian with us and pushing Marcello in the stroller. While she was here, we went over the photos and laughing about the last time she was here visiting. Here are a few photos from that visit.





Marcello and I at the Fontana di Trevi





My boys and I at St Peter's





Seb at the fountain at Piazza Navona











This is a photo of the B & B we stayed at in Rome. I am thinking of booking it again when Ralph's parents visit in January. It was in a great location, walking distance from everything. And they had one of the best spreads of breakfast we have had. Fresh local juice, pastries, and the owner went to the store and bought special cereal for Seb.





This is one of my favorite photos. I have this one framed on my wall. My boys and I are at Pompeii.





This is a photo of Marcello and I at the town before Amalfi, on the famous Amalfi coast. I loved this place so much I did more research on it and went back during Spring Break.




We also did a few day trips while Seb was at camp, or at a friends house. I wanted to show her around the island some. So we went to Caltagirone so I could show her the famous stairs and go ceramic shopping. Took her shopping in Taormina and to show her the great views. Can't visit Sicily without seeing the Valley of the Temples in Agrigento. And since our ITT trip to the Islands north of Sicily was cancelled due to weather, we went to the Gambino Winery for some wine.



Another one of my favorite photos I have framed on my wall. I am in front of the stairs that was once a road. Along your walk up are several shops with colorful ceramic's.

No comments: