Monday, December 1, 2008

First Day alone with the boys.........

Today Ralph had to go back to work. And of course Seb is sick and I have to take him to the Dr. He has had a cough, runny nose, and fever since he woke up Thursday. So I kept him home from school today and tried to get all 3 of my monkeys dressed and out the door. Boy is that a challenge. I tried to call the Hospital to get an Appt., but they said they had no openings today and to take him to the ER. UGGGG, I don't want to drop him off to school if he is contagious. But at least now I can show up when I get ready instead of rushing. 

Seb is upset about not being able to go to school today. You see he had to make an Mohawk longhouse this weekend, and they are sharing with the classroom today. Man now I feel like a bad parent, I kept telling Ralph I wanted to take photos of it in stages of them building it and a final one when it was all dry. And of course I forgot. With all the nursing and keeping an eye on Marcello I didn't do it. I wanted to post it on here for you to see it. It turned out really cool. And they had fun doing it together. 

Boy, today was a long day. We didn't get home until almost 3 after going to the Dr, getting med.'s, dropping off Seb's house at school, and picking up a few things at the store.  I am beat. And I still have to take care of the house and cook dinner.

After I got the boys settled, I pulled out my cook book to find something to make. I haven't made a good meal for my family in months. Ralph has been doing most of the cooking. And when I did cook it was a basic meal. I was planning on making a soup out of the turkey, but now I don't have enough time. I will try tomorrow to make it. After looking around the house, all I found was Chicken, so I tried to find a good recipe to make tonight. 

It feels so good to be back to my old self. I haven't been able to take care of my family for months, and it was hard on me. Now I have energy to take care of everything. Slowly I am taking over the household duties here. Over the Holiday weekend, the Nurse told me I was over doing it and to hold off another week. So I had to take it easy another few more days. But now I am feeling better again and ready to get this house back into shape. 

SO LETS GET COOKING. 

The recipe I found was Curry Chicken Thighs. And here it is:
  • 8 ck thighs
  • 2 Tbsp cooking oil ( I used garlic olive oil I got here on the island)
  • 1 cup sliced mushroom ( which we were out of )
  • 1 Med onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 3 - 4  tsp curry powder ( I only used 2 because of the kids )
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup chicken broth
  • 1 med. apple, cored and chopped ( we used a pear, out of apples)
  • 1 cup half-and-half, light cream, milk ( I used half-and-half )
  • 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
  1. Rinse chicken, pat dry. In 10 inch skillet cook ck in hot oil over med. heat about 10 min. until golden brown. Remove ck and place to the side.
  2. Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic to hot oil in skillet. Cook until Veg. are tender. Add curry, salt, and cinnamon. Cook & stir for about 1 min. Add Ck broth and apple. Mix together. Then add Chicken back to the skillet. Bring to boiling, reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 15 min. or until chicken is cooked all the way through.
  3. Transfer Chicken to platter and set aside again. Stir half-and-half into the flour. Stir into pan juices. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 min. 
SERVE OVER RICE (I USED COUSCOUS) Place Rice first, then chicken and cover with the sauce.

I cooked Roasted Garlic & olive oil Couscous instead of Rice. Next time I will make 2 boxes, because I felt one was not enough for all of us. We all enjoyed it, and I am not a curry fan at all. I took a risk and cooked it anyways knowing Ralph would like it. And Marcello eats just about everything we put in front of him. He ate it up. Seb wasn't sure about it, but Ralph and I loved it.

HOPE EVERYONE IS DOING WELL, CAN YOU BELIEVE IT'S DECEMBER ALREADY.

Let me know if you try this out.

REMEMBER DAD YOU CAN PRINT THIS OUT SO YOU CAN COOK IT FOR YOU AND MARY ANN ONE NIGHT.

No comments: