Monday, August 18, 2008

Cars and ME, why does this happen to me.

OK the story of me and cars. Why do I have all the bad luck. If you knew me before I came here, you know I am just cursed when it comes to cars. Ok here we go, and I will be venting ALOT about this. Ok, before we came here, Ralph and I decided to sell both vehicles. I finally had a nice brand new car that was great. It was the first new car I have had in about 10 years. We knew we needed to sell his truck, it was diesel, not 4X4, and 7 ft bed. So our plan was to buy an island car while here, and shop around for what kind of new car we will take with us when we leave the island. We were told by many people Ralph already knew on the island, to not bring a new car. There reasoning were: Insurance could cost up to 3000 a year, it will get damaged while driving here, and depends on the size, hard to drive on the small roads. So that's why we sold my car, we didn't want to pay high insurance and risk damaging the car.
Well, our first car was a rental, which of course a standard. I never have driven a standard. So Ralph had to do all the driving at first. After driving around on the roads here with him, I was starting to get nervous about learning to drive a stick. You see most of the roads do not look wide enough for 2 cars to drive pass on, no line down the middle, and are kinda like country roads. When you are in the towns, they are like alley ways and steep inclines. So you can see why I was freaking out about driving. But after being stuck at home with no car and not able to just drive and do what I wanted, I knew it was time to learn. We found a road that had no traffic and my lesson began. I wouldn't recommend you having your husband teach you to drive a stick, especially in an foreign country. Changing the gears was not my problem, it was stopping then going. If I was having problems on a flat road, at a stop sign, I would hate to see what would happen on an incline. So what do you do, you suck it up and do your best right. I am not going to sit at home and whine about not being able to drive, and the bus was hard to do with Seb all the time. I didn't mind using the bus, but there are times you just need your own car.
Well after refusing to drive the rental anymore, because of my episode at the NAS1 front gate, Ralph finally bought us a car. Surprise, surprise its an standard. But he told me this will be both of our car for now, and we will keep looking or an automatic to buy for me. Well of course about a week after he bough the car he told me he had to go stateside for about an month. And that I needed to call the seller and have him fix the few things he promised to fix. I post the rest of the story later........

No comments: